Manage your time. Be realistic of what you can achieve within any given time break down the sections, make lists, plan schedules. Always plan backwards from the date that the dissertation needs to be submitted. Your plan needs to acknowledge the following stages.
- The literature review as this is the backbone of your work.
- The methodology. Start by producing a rough draft and progression of ideas. Build on you methodology piece by piece, keep a methodology diary that you continually add to.
- Organise your work. Keep copies and notes so as they are at hand if your need to re-read or refer to them. Again write work up as you go along. Any notes you keep will be useful as they enable you to cite work correctly.
- Continually read through your work and if you re-draft one part of it make sure that you read through all of your work rather than just the part you have redrafted.
- Ideally set aside one day a week that you devote just to working on your dissertation. Set yourself specific tasks to do on those days as this will help give you focus.